Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Pride and Prejudice

So I was watching one of my most favorite movies the other night, Pride and Prejudice. Being in the analytical and contemplative state of mind that I have been in for the past month, I started to realize myself (younger and current) in one of the characters...Elizabeth...and also realize who I am starting to become...Jane.

I was the spitting character image of Elizabeth growing up and still very much am to this day.I am, however, starting to see chracteristics of Jane come into my life.

So quickly I have stated things about each of these characters personalities that I realize are also my own:

Elizabeth is lively, quick-witted, sharp-tongued, bold and intelligent. Elizabeth is concerned with propriety, good-manners, and virtue. Jane Austen portrays Elizabeth Bennet as "strong and intelligent, yet bewitching in a completely feminine way". "Elizabeth's possession of these attributes: strength of character and moral integrity, great intelligence, and an attractive personality, make her an admirable person." Yet Elizabeth has faults. She has pride in her abilities to perceive the truth of situations and of people's characters. However, her perceptive abilities fail her frequently because she is influenced by vanity and judges people rashly. By the end of the novel she overcomes her prejudice through her dealings with Darcy. Somewhere in my life I feel like I overcame my prejudice as well...not the pride though HA! Because of this change, I have realized that there are now things about Jane's character that I have now. Jane is good-tempered (I haven't mastered that one), sweet, amiable, humble(not this one either... at times) and selfless. She refuses to judge anyone badly, always making excuses for people when Elizabeth brings their faults to her attention (this is where my biggest flip/change has occured ..or is a working progress anyway). Her tendency to give people the benefit of the doubt leads her to be hurt by insincere friends such as Caroline Bingley.
I think that once I get hurt by my tendency to give the benefit of the doubt...I quickly return to my Elizabeth characteristics again. I am not sure how I like my progression toward having Jane's character...transformations that have or are taking place now I think I'm ok with...but I rather like my out-spokenness and my bold, charasmatic personality. yup..no more Jane for me!

No comments: