Wednesday, September 24, 2008

BIG sigh

So I received an email today from my one and only competative student. He is a college student, and can no longer afford to continue with his lessons. This makes me sad and feel like IT will never happen for me. I really don't like those days that I feel like that. It is so very different to teach a student who has competative intentions. I love it, and now it is gone. I have to remind myself that it is just another phase, and it will open doors for someone new to take his place. It just really came at a bad time right now though. MANY of my current students are wedding couples. It is a great struggle to get these students to continue with their dancing after their wedding. They come in with a mind set that they are there to learn to dance for the wedding, so I have to change that mindset before the wedding. I don't want to change it just for the fact that I need to keep my student body though. I hope that as an instructor I can open the eyes of my students to the greatness of dancing and what it gives...so much that they will want to continue learning. ANyhow, all of them are getting married in OCtober, so my fear is that I will lose a great deal of my teaching hours through this month. ANd now my solid competative student is gone. HUghf! Why is it so hard in the beginning to get things going. I just want like 5 more dedicated and commited students.

Where to find them....

Sometimes I think I've found one. They are so excited about dancing and come across as very dedicated and hard working. They have great passion for it, but then I can't get them to call me back to get booked! I don't understand that approach that people take. It's like they think you're going to eat them alive if they say that they don't want to learn, so they lead you on and tell you the opposite to your face and then run and won't answer the phone to be booked. No courtesy returned phone call to say " We aren't interested" , or whatever the excuse may be...nothing..just no answer and no returned calls. Do people just not have respect for others anymore? I really don't understand this!

No comments: