Monday, March 16, 2009
The adventures of Britt
So Britt has started a new hobby...rock climbing or as he sometimes refers to it....poling...don't ask. He was inspired to start this new hobby by his sister, Amber, who picked up the hobby in DC. Britt thought it would be a great thing he could do with his lil' sis' and fun for himself as well. He's gotten pretty good now, climbing 5.10's and 5.11's....that's the difficulty measurement. You have to be able to climb a 5.12 before you can do what they call lead climb. Lead climbing is where you are the first one up...that means there's no rope from the top that you are connected to...you start climbing and hook in as you go. I get woozy just thinking of it!! So anyhow it has been quite amusing for the past few months. Each time he comes home from a climb we have show and tell...hehehe. First he "tells" me how he conquered the next level or how he "flashed" the wall that was hard last time ( flashed is where you climb right up to the top fairly quickly without hesitation) ; I also get to hear all the weird stories about the "interesting" people at the rock climbing gym. Then it's "show" time as he will proceed to show me his veiny arms and rock hard forarms. It kinda makes me chuckle cause it reminds me of my little brother a bit when he first started lifting weights and stuff(the excitement that is...not the size of the muscles of course) but I'm SOO excited and proud of his progress. AND he's started taking the yoga and abs classes that they offer at the climbing gym. Now I swear by yoga as a GREAT stress reliever!!! He is taking his first climbing trip into the "wild" the first weekend of April. He, one of his climbing buddies here, Amber, and some of her climbing friends and instructors are all going to Red River Gorge which is apparently one of the best places to climb in the States. I'm a little nervous to be honest...but at least I don't have to climb those walls....just a TAD high for me!! I'll keep you posted on his progress and the trips...hope to get some pics up soon!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment